Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Building a Chicken Coop

Here is some more information about raising food for yourself.  This video gives step by step instruction on a DIY project; building a chicken coop.  I used to be against coops because I've always felt that a free range chicken should be truly "free range" without the restraints of a coop.  After speaking with farmers, I realized that preditors will not only steal eggs but entire chickens as well if you don't have a way of keeping them out. The coop isn't to trap the chicken as much as it is to protect them.

Personally, I could raise chickens for eggs, but I would never be able to slaughter them for food.  I eat chicken, but I didn't give the chickens that I eat names and I've never watched them grow from babies to adults.  I get attached to animals VERY easily and I could never be a vegan, so I'll just have to continue buying chicken from someone else.

For whatever reason, if you would like to raise chickens here is a video on how to build a coop.


No comments:

Post a Comment