Sunday, January 13, 2013

Alternative Beverage "Coffee Substitute" Recipe

I just recently heard of chicory root.  I may have taken it before, my acupuncturist may have put some in the tea that she gave me to drink 2X per day for example; but I didn't know about it or what it does until now.

Chicory itself is in the same family as endives, but the root is said to have a nutty flavor almost like coffee.  Many caffeine free coffee substitutes use roasted barley and chicory to achieve that coffee flavor.  I'm looking forward to trying it.  To avoid flavoring, which many of these coffee substitutes products have, I may actually put a coffee flavored beverage together myself.  I used to like coffee beverages (coffee itself, cappuccino, lattes and other such), but I can't deal with the caffeine and I consider decaffeinated as simply not a healthy way to go since I'm always uncertain of the process that decaffeinated beverages have to go through.

Below is a recipe for a coffee substitute.  I've never tried it myself, but I look forward to trying it or my own version of it.

Alternative Beverage "Coffee Substitute" Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment