Monday, January 21, 2013

Alpacas

I've posted that I am pondering raising sheep and rabbits for fiber, but I'm starting to fall in love with the idea of raising alpacas.  I don't know what they provide besides wool (with the exception of meat which I could never raise them for), but it still seems worth it.

Sheep's wool is very coarse; for that I've had to really think about sheep.  Alpaca wool is said to be much softer than sheep's wool.  Again, because of the wonderful sheep cheese and yogurt provisions, raising sheep sounded like a good idea.  Some alpaca owners feel that alpacas are more social creatures; in other words they are easy to build a relationship with.  Because of that and their softer wool, I was inclined to look into the possibility of raising alpacas instead of sheep.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on alpacas, I just started learning about them.  If anyone has any further info to share, your comments will be more than welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment