Saturday, March 31, 2012

Teach A Man To Fish

I have a heart for people who can't afford to buy their own food and I always have.  Many of my church colleagues don't believe this because I never join food drives.  The heart and intention behind these food drives are all beautiful so I don't judge them, however, I'm looking at the program as a whole.  The programs currently in practice will provide starving people with canned foods and GMO garbage.  Then eventually, there will have to be another program to provide money to heal the diabetes, cancer and heart disease that these same foods caused.  What was the point in giving them the garbage in the first place then?  These foods may keep people from feeling their starvation, but not ending it.  Unfortunately, what these wonderful givers with beautiful intentions are inadvertently bringing these impoverished souls inevitably is disease.

I've dreamed of giving hungry people EXACTLY what they hunger for; high quality nutrient dense food.  I believe the answer to poverty can often be in providing farming skills.  I fully understand that these skills cannot abolish ALL of poverty.  What these skills can do is feed people and if the people raising the crops or livestock can sell their produce in a free market, it can certainly give them an income as well.  There are such programs available, but there aren't enough of them in the United States.


*This video is available until the end of the day*

No comments:

Post a Comment