Thursday, March 1, 2012

Goat Farmer Comments

I received the following comment from an anonymous reader.  I try to keep my responses in the comments short.  In this case, however, I felt the matter was important and I wanted to be thorough rather than brief.  Therefore, I used today's post as an opportunity to expand on my answer.

Anonymous Reader:
as a dairy goat farmer i can tell you that unless you find someone raising them totally organically, that GMO is a part of life. Dairy goats need a large column of feed grains to produce that milk you want. and unless you live in a bubble, you are already exposed to GMO. The beef, chicken and even farm raised fish are feed grains. since almost all soybean and corn commercially grown are GMO, you are already getting it not to mention that walmart milk you drink has it in is in some form/fashion. so how much is to much? well you are missing out on a great product by stating that you wont drink raw milk because of GMO's.

Thank you for your comment, but I must respectfully disagree.  It makes me sad that you make the avoidance of GMOs sound so hopeless.  I'll admit that avoiding GMO may be costly, but it is otherwise not that difficult.  The extra money is worth it when my body responds with such vibrant health as opposed to being sick all the time.  I'd like to take the opportunity to share once again the many ways I have been able to escape ingesting GMOs and unfortunately part of avoiding GMOs involves doing business with the farmers who are determined to avoid them.

Six months ago, after doing some hunting, I finally found a dairy farmer who boards cows.  He fervently despises GMOs and refuses to give them to his cows.  He now only gives them organic feed (grain), and he only gives that to his cows while milking.  There is no soy or sugar beets in this feed for he says it makes the cows sick.  The rest of the day the ladies eat nothing but greens (non-GMO grass and alfalfa).  The only reason he isn't a certified organic farmer is because certification is so expensive, but he is very open about how he raises the cows; he invites his clients to observe and ask questions.  He is open 24/7 and clients come round the clock to get their share of milk so obviously he has nothing to hide from us.



(More will be posted later today)

No comments:

Post a Comment