Friday, March 2, 2012

Goat Farmer Comments continued

This post is a continued response to the following comment:  as a dairy goat farmer i can tell you that unless you find someone raising them totally organically, that GMO is a part of life. Dairy goats need a large column of feed grains to produce that milk you want. and unless you live in a bubble, you are already exposed to GMO. The beef, chicken and even farm raised fish are feed grains. since almost all soybean and corn commercially grown are GMO, you are already getting it not to mention that walmart milk you drink has it in is in some form/fashion. so how much is to much? well you are missing out on a great product by stating that you wont drink raw milk because of GMO's.


Did I mention that I'm lactose intolerant?  Well, I am.  So I have no choice but to refuse the Wal-Mart milk that you mentioned and to be honest I wouldn't dare eat any dairy or food product that Wal-Mart sells anyway.  I would NEVER buy Wal-Mart milk; organic or otherwise.  I wouldn't feed grocery store cow's milk to a cow nor store bought goat's milk to a goat!  Grocery store milk tends to create illnesses and allergies because of the denaturing process that it goes through (hence the lactose intolerance that many Americans suffer from including me).  Real milk gives nourishment.  The milk that I get from my dairy farmer is a high quality product and the benefits have proven it to me since I've been a raw milk consumer for six months.   

I agree that all Americans at some point must have been exposed to GMOs over the last 15 years (or more).  I disagree, however, that you have to live in a bubble to avoid them.  Because my diet consists mainly of real food, I can say quite confidently that don't eat GMOs and if I do, it is not enough to worry about and few foods that contain it will most probably find its way out of my diet very soon anyway.  I occasionally eat organic grass fed beef and organic chicken and I've learned to buy most of my food from places other than Whole Foods since it turns out their standards aren't as high as they say.  The only processed foods that I eat are sprouted grain bread (registered with the non-GMO project) and occasionally I eat organic whole grain pasta.  Neither of these contain canola, sugar, corn, soy or cotton seed oil anyway so there is yet another reason not to feel concerned. 

I truly hope that I've cultivated some confidence that avoiding GMOs isn't that difficult (however costly).  If you choose to eat GMOs or feed it to your goats, that is ultimately your choice and I completely understand the farmers who resolve to do that.  On the other hand, there are many farmers (including my dairy farmer) who are committed to producing high quality food and therefore refuse GMOs.  I have a high respect for those farmers for a number of reasons.  The propaganda will lead people to believe that it is hopeless and their practices prove that it truly isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment