Thursday, March 29, 2012

Curcumin found to prevent brain degenerative diseases including Parkinson's and Alzheimer's

Here is some more information about natural medicine.  Curcumin is found to prevent brain degenerative diseases according to this article.  It also possesses an anti-inflammatory compound as well.   It is the antioxidant yellow pigment that is found in the curry spice turmeric.  I have friends that put turmeric in capsules and take it when they are feeling a cold coming on so this article wasn't a surprise to me.

Knowing that it is an immune booster, I try to find reasons to have it more often.  Turmeric is a main ingredient in my chicken curry.  In fact, I've heard several different recipes for curry and not all of them include cumin, coriander, cardamom and fenugreek; but they ALL include turmeric.  I make many different curry dishes including curry chicken, curry lentils and curry chickpeas.  In Jamaica, they also make curry goat which I haven't had in a very long time.  Most people regard curry as something that is very hot and spicy (like the recipes that include cayenne pepper).  The curry that I make is flavorful but mildly spicy.  I'm not a fan of foods that burn, but my husband LOVES it.  I sometimes include the cayenne pepper in his dishes which also has immune boosting properties.  Cayenne flavor is very nice with curries if you are into spicier foods.

Even though turmeric is a wonderful immune booster it seems to be the curcumin in the turmeric that has been regarded as the actual "healing" part of the spice.  Below is an article with information that I didn't even know about curcumin.

*Curcumin found to prevent brain degenerative diseases including Parkinson's and Alzheimer's*

No comments:

Post a Comment