Monday, February 13, 2012

Wood Sealer

I'm on the hunt for an eco-friendly wood sealer for the raised beds that I would like to create for my gardens this year.  I found a few products that I like, however, I have many important questions about them. 

One product that I like so far is called Cedarshield (the website is below).  One reason why I like it is because there are only two ingredients in it.  One is cedar oil, which I use in my house, and the other is silane fluid.  I am still doing some research on what silane fluid is and how it is made.  One site says that it is quartz rock, however, I'm not sure how they make it into liquid form so I am still doing research on it.   I will post any and all answers that I find.

So far, I consider it one of my leading choices, however, I am still looking at other products such as those made from shellac.  I like the fact that shellac itself is all natural (it's made from a bug), but I must admit that I'm not crazy about some of the stuff that is added to shellac.  I will write an updated post if I find anything new.  In the meantime questions are welcome; but comments, advice and furthermores are most especially welcome!  I am still a student in the world of gardening and any insight from experienced gardeners is crucial for my growth.

Petri Wood | Cedar Shield | Cedarshield Deck and Fence treatment | Cedar Oil Wood Treatment | PetriWood Wood Sealer

1 comment:

  1. I'm on the same boat. I'm trying to make my own cedar oil based flea repellant. I've tried a product on myself and my 2 dogs and it works. However, I can't afford paying $20-$28 per bottle.

    Did you find a supplier for hydrated silica/silane fluid in your research?? Thanks

    ReplyDelete