Saturday, February 11, 2012

Food stamp bills seek to restrict junk food

I thought that this was an interesting debate.  I can't say which side I'm on really.  Because restricting the type of foods that people could by is a hint of nannyism, I'm not crazy about the idea.  At the same time, aren't the stamps better spent on real food?  But then again, most Americans don't understand what real food is.

The one part of the article that made me shake my head was the confusion that the food industry loves to propagate and it's working.  They brought up the same point that I'm asking which is "What is healthy food?"  I've said so many times that low calorie food isn't what makes foods healthy, but the food industry argued "...there are no "clear standards" for what constitutes healthful food: by some measurements, diet soda, which is low in calories and sugar, could be considered "healthier" than orange juice."  Diet soda healthier than orange juice??  The fact that someone tried to even compare the quality of health of the two beverages is pathetic!  At least that statement confirms where all of the confusion about health comes from.

Food stamp bills seek to restrict junk food

No comments:

Post a Comment