Friday, November 11, 2011

NRDC: Mercury Contamination in Fish - Consumer Guide to Mercury in Fish

My doctor recommended sardines to help with raising my vitamin D. I happen to enjoy sardines very much, they are among my favorite things to snack on. I'm just sad that if I eat sardines that it must be out of a can. If I could enjoy fresh sardines or sardines out of a glass jar, I would eat it daily!

My old doctor strongly suggested the avoidance of caned foods. Because I had been doing that anyway, it wasn't that difficult... except when it came to sardines. Sardines were VERY difficult to avoid entirely and even more now because I need the nutrients that it possesses. It makes me so sad that we are at the point where we have to search on Google and spend an insane amount of money for high quality food. Food is suppose to nourish us and keep disease away, but that isn't the way we treat or regard food... at least not in the US.

The one thing that I'm happy about is that at least I don't need to worry too much about mercury. Sardines are a type of fish that contains very low levels of mercury and it is okay to enjoy it often according to the NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council). Check out the link below and see which list your favorite fish falls into.

NRDC: Mercury Contamination in Fish - Consumer Guide to Mercury in Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment