Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Treasured New Discovery

I remember a time when running was something that I would avoid.  I would do brisk walking, biking, aerobic dance of many kinds, rollerblading and surge training; but never running.  I am surprised to find myself completely in love and addicted to this energizing new activity.

Two days ago I woke up and heard my husband coughing (it turned out to be a reaction to dryness).  Desperate not to get sick, I got out of bed and went for a run.  I'm not sure what possessed me.  I was already awake before he started coughing, and for some reason all I could think about was running in the crisp Colorado morning air.  So, I put on a tee shirt and sweatpants and went for a run.  I admit that I didn't go as far as I wanted to.  It didn't surprise me because it has been a while since I've done any cardio exercise.  I've been very focused on resistance exercise and weight bearing exercise.  I know from experience, however, that my distance will increase overtime.  Since I'm going to be running often, it probably won't be long.  I'm most surprised about how meditative running is.  My mind works so much more efficiently after a run.  Things are clearer, fresh ideas flood in to the point where I can't write things down quickly enough.  It is the most amazing thing! 

The only reason I didn't go out this morning as well is because I have to fast for some blood work.  I don't feel that it is a good idea to do such rigorous exercise when fasting like this.  I do look forward to my run tomorrow though.  I'm so excited about my new discovery and wonder why I never thought of it before.

2 comments:

  1. I FEEL IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO GO OUT AND GET THAT FRESH AIR DAILY. I GO OUT DAILY EVEN WHEN IT IS COLD. IT HELPS CLEAR MY MIND AND IMPROVES MY SLEEP. LISTENING TO MUSIC AS WELL AS READING IS GREAT TO DO WHILE ONE IS OUTSIDE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sadmira! I feel that getting fresh air is DEFINITELY a big part of the reason I feel so good after a run. Resistance exercise (which I do indoors) makes me feel good too and it is certainly necessary; but it can't beat the feeling I have after a run!

    ReplyDelete