Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My World Without Fluoride

I've stopped using fluoride toothpaste over a year ago.  I remember how afraid I was to do it.  All my life I've had very healthy teeth and I actually believed that fluoride had something to do with it.  Because of this belief, I was afraid to switch to a non-fluoride toothpaste.  I'm almost surprised how completely wrong I was. 

When I first stopped using fluoride toothpastes, I remember getting gingivitis for the first time.  It was pretty bad, but not irreversible.  I continued to use my non-fluoride tooth powder, my tea tree oil mouthwash and flossing and by my next dental check-up it was gone.  It has been a year and I never saw another attack of gingivitis or any such problem since.  I almost feel that it was a coincidence that I had gingivitis then.  For I've had two check-ups since and my teeth and gums have been very healthy.


I love my hygienist. Besides the fact that she will not use fluoride in my mouth upon my request, she and I always share tips on how to stay healthy using natural sources.  She assured me that fluoride isn't really necessary for oral hygiene.  She felt that whatever I've been doing is working well and said to keep doing it.  Not one item in my cabinet contains fluoride and at this rate nothing ever will again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment