Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Healthy Life With Healthy Finances

Finance can get frustrating for so many of us.  Healthy products can be obnoxiously expensive.  My poor husband used to have a decent food bill before he met me.  Once we started living together, his food bill shot up.  He claimed that his energy rose as well (of course his weight dropped too).

Finance is an area where I am constantly looking to improve.  The best thing that we could do to save money and be healthy is to plan meals.  When you plan meals, you have a little more control over your budget.  I like to cook large amounts of food that I can make several dishes from.  My last roommate and I would buy whole fryer chickens to eat.  We each got three meals out of one chicken which was a lot of food for our buck.  Fermented vegetables could last 6 months to a year AND it is a day of work that will last several weeks.  There are places to buy clean (organic but non-certified) meat (no hormones, herbicides or pesticides) for a great price too.  When you are really in a pinch, beans and rice with some vegetables is a healthy and complete meal.  I can no longer have rice so that doesn't work for me anymore.  When I used to eat rice, however, I used to make garbanzo, black beans, red lentils and lima beans in large amounts and then I'd put the left overs in a jar for nights when I didn't feel like cooking.  Those of you on raw food/vegan diets, I would be surprised if you didn't have a MUCH easier time with money than those of us who eat meat and eggs.  Meat, cheese and eggs are usually the most expensive things on our menu.

Again, this is an area where I'm still growing; so questions, comments and futhermores are most welcome for this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment