Thursday, October 27, 2011

Athlete's Curse

My new love for running apparently didn't come without paying some dues.  I have almost forgotten the one major drawback of being an aerobics instructor; overuse injuries!  Today, I call it athlete's curse.  It is an athlete's curse because overuse injuries can be very painful and they can keep you from doing the activities that you love so much.

The one overuse injury that used to attack me constantly was shinsplints.  Shinsplints and I are now mortal enemies!  I remember how painful they were when I was an athlete.  I remember teaching an aerobics class with an ace bandage around my shin.  It was the only way my legs would allow me to teach.  I was going to classes for my massage certification at the time too; therefore my legs were getting massaged daily and they still were still in pain.

Now that I started running again, my much hated shinsplints are back.  I will be doing some exercises to work the tibialis anterior (the muscle that hurts so badly), to see if that helps.  Hopefully I find success for I so desperately don't want to give up running.

No comments:

Post a Comment