Sunday, October 23, 2011

FDA Disappointment

The FDA is suppose to be an impartial institution committed to looking out for our health.  My husband told me something interesting the other day:  when a politician says "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" in any way, shape or form, head for the hills!  I believe in regulation to protect others from corporate monsters like Monsanto's crooked manner of doing business, but we need to be very careful when government gets their camel noses under the tent of healthcare or agriculture.  Many of these laws have little to do with protecting us.  What it's really about is control; trying to control where we spend our money by subsidizing products that are toxic and unsustainable for reasons that I will never understand.  Then they try to further claim control by implementing these "protective laws" that really just stomp on our rights.

I'd like to say that I'm deeply disappointed in the FDA.  When I think about it, however, I wonder if we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot by placing the government in charge of our food in the first place.  Perhaps my disappointment should be in the fact that we Americans placed our faith in the wrong people.

No comments:

Post a Comment