Sunday, April 14, 2013

Worm Farm

My worm farm is coming along slowly.  I've purchased some of the equipment to build it and I'm going to be working on it today.

There are just a few more things that I need.  I need to collect some small stones (for the bottom of the bin) and I've been having a tough time finding coconut coir for the worm bedding.  Many people use shredded newspaper for cheap worm bedding, but I don't like that idea for my farm.  I'm not crazy about the toxins in the ink of newspapers and I would rather keep it out of my garden if possible.  If my worms eat it, it may end up in the soil.  I perfectly understand that toxins are in the air and in the soil anyway, but I would still rather take steps to reduce it on my land if I can.

I did find red worms, but they weren't the kinds that I wanted.  I found the eisenia hortensis, also called red worms, which are commonly used for fishing; but I wanted the eisenia fetida, also known as red wigglers, which are commonly used for composing.  The red worms and night crawlers (fishing worms) can be used for composting, but they aren't as desired for worm farms for a couple of reasons.  One big reason for me is that the fishing worms tend to try to escape the "home" that is built for them while the red wigglers tend to love it as long as you keep it comfortably warm, dark and full of food.  Another big reason for me to get red wigglers is that they tend to multiply more quickly and I love the idea of expanding my worm farm.

Anyway, I'll post when it is finished and when I am on the hunt for local red worms.  I'd rather not have them "mailed" to me if I can avoid it; especially since it's getting so warm outside.  If I must order it online and have it delivered, however, I will of course.  They tend to arrive at their new homes exhausted which makes me sad.  I know they are "just worms" but I have a tough time seeing any living creature suffer (unless it is perceived as a threat).  Besides, It would be wonderful if I could run out and buy them the same day that I am ready for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment