Friday, April 26, 2013

The Overlooked Nutrient

Iodine is perhaps the most overlooked nutrient of all... at least in the US.  There are many of us who are "within range" of thyroid health and still have hypothyroid symptoms.  This is because regardless of the "range" your thyroid falls into, you still have an under active thyroid.

To get my fill of iodine everyday, I used to put kelp powder on my eggs.  Another thing I was doing was experimenting with recipes that I could make with Irish moss.  I was so creeped out by that stuff once upon a time.  My parents made it a few times when I was a kid.  When they soaked it, it looked like it was going to come alive and I wanted nothing to do with it.  I started to experiment with it as an adult.  There are all kinds of other brown seaweeds that can also help one get their iodine intake from food.  I've never heard of sea asparagus until today.  It certainly sounds like something that I would eat, but I would like some kind of recipe though.

If you are intentionally trying to raise your iodine levels,  there are two things that you should be wary of.  First, be sure to stay away from chlorine, bromine and fluoride.  The fluoride I knew about, but the video below just informed me of bromine and chloride.  All these chemicals you could find in our water (especially traditional pools and hot tubs).  The second thing to be wary of, that is often way overlooked, is x-ray machines.  They will kill thyroid function very quickly and very easily.  Decline x-rays when possible, only allow them to be taken when absolutely necessary.  When it is necessary, ask the doctor about the level of radiation it gives out.  There are some machines that are milder than others.  If he can't answer your question, then perhaps you may want to find someone else to do the x-ray exam.

I hope you learn from this video.  I found it to be wonderfully informative.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment