Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Avoiding Petroleum on Your Farm

Avoiding petroleum based products turned out to be much more difficult than I thought.  It's definitely not impossible, however, there are more petroleum based products than there are alternatives.  Another discouraging fact is that the plastic containers are almost always cheaper; sometimes by far!

There are a few examples of this struggle that I've faced.  Something as simple as a non plastic watering can was a pain.  I just purchased one that I am very happy with, but there were often not many non plastic watering cans to choose from.  Then there is the non plastic worm bin issue.  I tried to find a worm bin made from wood, I found ONE!  This is the reason I decided to build a worm farm myself.  Weed killer is another product that is difficult non plastic product to find.  Although, weed killer comes in fabric and paper, the majority of the times that I've seen it, it was made of plastic.

The list goes on; these were just recent discouragements.  I actually found most of these products in a non--petroleum based form, but it's sad that it took such a search to actually find some of them.  I will admit one advantage though; I saved a significant amount of money on the worm farm because of the fact that I am making it myself.  I guess sometimes it can be better not to find what you're looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment