Saturday, April 13, 2013

Avocado Dreamin'

All of this talk about avocados has me avocado dreamin'!  My favorite avocados are these huge ones that I've seen plenty of in Jamaica, but I rarely see in the states.  My mother always knew where to find these suckers in New York, God bless her!  When I was growing up, they were usually served with some kind of Jamaican pastry.  Maybe my "sweet" memories are more literal than I thought.  I mean, my family still does this now, but I don't eat pastries anymore (at least not the kinds sweetened with granulated sugar).  I now enjoy avocado with a variety of other foods.  I especially enjoy it with a dish full of Jamaican food like aki (a yellow fruit with big black seeds) or callaloo (a dark leafy green vegetable) mixed with salt fish (usually cod), yellow or green banana (boiled or fried) complete with either breadfruit or bammy (a bread made from cassava).  Wow!  I'm really just salivating over here thinking about it.

Because my parents live so far away, I rarely get a chance to enjoy those giant avocados.  There are many who have climate controlled green houses and are able to enjoy growing foods like avocado and other tropical native foods.  I hope to learn to do this.  I may have been American raised, but I still have Jamaican blood and I often crave after the native food.  And why wouldn't I?  Jamaican food truly is awesome!  I've seen family members cook the food that they picked fresh from their own backyards.  For me, this is what makes Jamaican food BOSS; there is only only way to enjoy food... fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment