Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Producing Food All Year

There are many methods of year round gardening that I've mentioned.  There are some that I like, some that I wouldn't even consider and others that I would like to do if they just weren't so pricey.

There are three methods in particular that I've considered; hoop houses, cold frames and greenhouses.  A hoop house is a popular idea among gardeners.  To be honest, I'm not crazy about the use of plastic even in the case of a hoop house.  If you are one who would consider a hoop house, regardless of the mentioned issue (that I admit is personal), then a hoop house is otherwise a great way to go.  A hoop house is a very cost effective way of doing year round gardening and it's very easy to make.  If there was just a way that I didn't have to use anything petroleum based, I would happily make hoop houses.  I much prefer the idea of a cold frame.  I recently posted about them and posted a video on how to make a relatively cheap one.  This is a method that is much more conducive to my needs.  Like everything else though, it's going to take me some time to learn how to make one.  The only problem is that I couldn't grow anything very tall in a cold frame.  Therefore, the most ideal method of year round gardening for me, would be a greenhouse.  There are sooo many things that I could grow all winter in a greenhouse.  The grow dome that I posted about is an absolute dream for  me.  But because a greenhouse is simply not feasible right now, I've had my heart set on the cold frame.

There are so many cold frame designs to choose from.  I can even buy one if I really wasn't ready for building yet.  Somehow or another, however, I would like to do some gardening this coming winter.  As far as my favorite veggies that grow to tall for a cold frame, I can be patient and wait for my greenhouse someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment