Monday, November 19, 2012

Cilantro

I was reading about cilantro today and was surprised about what I found.  Because it is a lovely dark green herb, I knew it had to have some power in it's nutritional and medicinal value.  It turns out that I was correct about that.  What was shocking was that cilantro is also known as coriander which is another curry spice!

I've used fresh cilantro in homemade sauerkraut and to add flavor to many different dishes; but I've also used coriander in my curry all along never knowing that they are the same.  The difference may be that the herb is called cilantro, but the seed is where we get the coriander spice.  What is so amazing about this to me is that I've been talking about how healthy and wonderful curry is, but I was referring to the turmeric and the cardamom.  Now I'm learning that cilantro also plays a part.  Like the other two, it's also a digestive aid, high in antioxidants and it's also a detoxifying herb.

I thought of adding cilantro to my sprouted breads to add to the flavor.  I suppose that it is in fact a wonderful idea because it will also tremendously add to the nutrition in my breads.

No comments:

Post a Comment