Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fiber II

As I may have mentioned, fiber can be found in most earth grown foods (best in whole form) like grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables. 

There are ways to get more fiber in your diet.  A friend of mine taught me something in college and I’ve been doing it since.  Even my father swears by it.  Every morning have a tall glass of water and some fruit before breakfast in that order.  I like to have fruit that is fibrous and juicy like mangoes, kiwis or citrus, but I’ll have all kinds of other fruit as well.  Have some veggies with lunch and dinner and try to fill half your plate with the fresh vegetables.  Snack on fruits and veggies between meals.  Try to eat the skin on fruits instead of peeling them.  Avoid processed foods like pastas or processed cereals in boxes.  Hot cereal made from whole grains would be better.  In the morning, usually make some millet, buckwheat, steel cut oats or corn meal with some amaranth and coconut milk.   If you are going to have the pastas or boxed cereals once in a while like I do, make sure they are at least made from whole grains and with few ingredients all of which you can recognize (if it contains ingredients that sound like they were made in a chemistry lab, steer clear of it).  You can also sprinkle some chia/ Salba seeds on your food for extra fiber and other nutrients.

You know that I love to hear from you.  If you have questions, comments, furthermores or extra tips, know that they are all welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment