Saturday, May 14, 2011

Traveling Healthy: Jerky

My husband and I were on our way to San Diego on one of our road trips the first time I ever tried jerky.  I've wanted to try it sooner, but because jerky almost ALWAYS had sugar, I wouldn't touch it.  The ingredients in the jerky I had the opportunity to eat was beef and salt.  I enjoyed it very much.

Jerky is really good travel food.  To avoid the sugar in jerky, I'm learning how to make it myself.  It doesn't seem difficult, but because I don't have a dehydrator, it may take a very long time.  Using the same recipes or techniques I look forward to also trying to make salmon jerky.

I have loved ones who live in a place where there are NO health food stores in their neighborhood.  We have to travel at least an hour to find a health food store.  So when I go to visit them we usually go to the health food store FIRST to get enough water and food to last my whole trip.  Jerky is one of those foods that will last the whole trip and it doesn't even need refrigeration.  Because of this, I'm looking forward to our next road trip.

If you are a pesco vegetarian, the salmon jerky would work for you as well as the other travel foods that I will be discussing in future posts. If you are vegan, however, the next posts may be more beneficial to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment