Saturday, May 21, 2011

Avoiding GMO

If you are trying to avoid GMO (genetically modified organisms) then unfortunately you will have difficulty unless the products that you buy are organic.  In this country, by law, companies do not have to label GMO products.  Not even health food stores can tell us what is real food and what is GMO.

There are three foods that are almost sure to be GMO.  At least 90% of all canola, corn, cotton (some foods are cooked with cotton seed oil) and soy are GMO.  I recently learned that if the ingredients say "sugar" as opposed to "cane sugar" you could also bet that is from GM sugar beets.  The only way that you could hope to eat these foods in a non-GMO form, is by eating these foods if and only if they are organic.  As far as cotton seed oil, I would just leave those foods on the shelf.

I've always played with the idea of gardening, however, the concept of GMO turned my inspiration to intent.  In this day and age greener is healthier.  This is why I decided that a book on organic gardening this month is appropriate and this is why I encourage gardening and constantly ask for help from people who are gardening experts.

I commend everyone who is in the fight with me to have our food labeled.  Hopefully some day, we won't have to make guesses about what is on our plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment