Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sugar in Fast Food Part II

You may remember this scene from the "Super Size Me" movie; when Morgan was explaining what was happening to his body after 30 days of eating nothing but fast food.  I was fascinated by the depression that he experienced.  I remember when I was going through neurofeedback therapy for clinical depression, one of the first things the doctor told me was to eliminate white sugar from my diet.  I happened to have already eliminated it from my diet at that point just to improve my overall health anyway, but sugar actually created depression for Morgan in this case.  It was one of those things that make you go "Hmmm."

Dr. Oz talked about a number of reasons why sugar is so dangerous; sure enough, many of the things that he warned about happened to Morgan.  He not only warned against white sugar but all the processed white sugar foods like white flour, white pasta and white rice; they all have a similar toxic effect on the body.  For example, please observe the diagram below.  Morgan's "fat liver" demonstrates something else Dr. Oz warned about.  He warned about how sugar can turn the liver into a "toxic organ that comes alive" in our bodies.  Morgan's liver "turned into fat" according to what his doctor said. 

Morgan also doubled his chances of heart disease and heart failure IN ONE SHORT MONTH according to the movie and diagram.  According to the lipid hypothesis, a diet high in saturated fat is suppose to do this to you.  There is no doubt that McD***ld's food is high in saturated fat, however, in light of what Dr. Oz and Dr. Lutsig had to say, I feel that sugar is more the culprit in Morgan's case than saturated fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment