Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Attitude Toward Wellness: Part III

Some people have a fixation on what it means to get well.  For example, in the story given in the first part of this series, when the rabbi asked the man if he wanted to get well, the man gave an excuse about why he isn't well.  Perhaps he thought that the rabbi would help him into the pool, but he didn't think outside the box realizing that there are probably other ways to get well.  If someone was sick for such a long time, then it wouldn't be surprising if they don't believe that there is more than one way to get well.

When I had depression, at some point in my adult life I started to believe in that something would heal me.  Once I started to believe, I held on to that belief until I found something that did.  Of course there were obstacles, but even with depression you don't allow anything to stand between you and your wellness if you could help it.  Like the man in the story, I had my moments when I would explain why I couldn't heal, but it was usually in the hopes that someone would help me. 

Are you fixated on a particular way to heal?  Is it possible that there are other ways (perhaps better ways) to heal your illness? 

No comments:

Post a Comment