Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Gardening: Compost

Gardening is one area where I NEED help more than I'm producing help.  I'm not sharing what I've mastered as much as I'm sharing what I'm learning.  I am at the very beginning of a new hobby that I believe will help me on my journey toward a healthier life.  If you are an experienced organic gardener, your knowledge is as welcomed as it is craved.

The tip that was given this morning, offered me more ideas about composting.  To compost all of the grass clippings, twigs and leaves in my back yard I could use the idea given in the video presented in the last post.  Any vegan items from the kitchen I could throw into a worm bin.  This month's book gives some information about worm bins that I could use, however, I am doing research outside the book as well.

My main task this year is to improve my soil.  I have a lot of sandy soil which is dry and doesn't hold much water.  I do not nearly have enough clay soil which holds more water and is high in nutrients for gardening.  Composting is one recommended way of improving soil.  Worm compost is highly fertile and high in nutrients while the compost from outside may be dryer.  The two mixed together should really improve my sandy soil.

The added bonus to having a worm bin is that I can put far less kitchen scraps into landfill.  This is something that I've been wanting for a while.  I've always hated throwing away scraps that can be recycled for a garden.  This would be a great way to do that AND it will help my garden next year.  So I'm becoming more and more excited about starting my compost projects!

If you, the reader, are an experienced gardener, then I would love to hear from you (you may comment below).  Your help, advice and suggestions are very welcome and needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment