Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Attitude Toward Wellness: Part II

I know what it is like to feel knocked over by illness.  When I had depression, when I used to get migraines or when I had attacks of dysmenorrhea I was knocked over.  The first thing we need to examine is if we want to get well. 

Most will assume that the sick want to get well, but this isn’t true.  Sometimes people don’t want to get well because their illness serves them in some way.  Their loved ones need to find a way to cope with that.  It is difficult to understand why someone would not want to get well.  Sometimes people are only interested in getting well if there is a quick fix available.  This makes me sad because usually that means that the person does not want to deal with life at all.  Depression can have the power to destroy your will, I know because I’ve experienced that.  Sometimes I didn’t want to get well because I was afraid of the world and depression was a reason for me to hide.  This is the way that I didn’t have to face the journey ahead of me.  It wasn’t until later in my adulthood when I was ready and willing to have a life when I was truly ready to get well.  This is when I discovered neurofeedback therapy.  From then on, I was ready for my new life and I lived it with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment