Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Attitude Toward Wellness: Part IV

The man in the story appeared to have a desire to be well, he just seemed fixated on how he was going to get well until the rabbi showed him another way.  Sometimes sick people do not want to become well though.  It may seem like I'm talking nonsense.  I know that it’s hard to understand why someone would choose illness over wellness, but it it does happen.

People sometimes find that their illnesses serve them in some way.  For example,  I have met a few high school kids who have used ADD as an excuse for why they can’t do something.  I personally have used depression as an excuse for why I wasn’t living the life that I desired.  I couldn't because I was too depressed.  I know of people who don’t want to take the steps toward healing because it is too overwhelming.  They would rather take a pill or stay sick.

It pays to be honest with yourself about your own attitude.  If you know that you aren't ready to journey toward wellness, then at least you hold the power to decide when you are ready to become well.  If you are not honest with yourself, then you are enslaved to your own fears and doubts.  They will toss you around like a paper cup in strong winds.  It is senseless to choose not to have choices, don't you think?
 
Do you have an illness?  Do you want to be well or do you want things to be easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment