Saturday, September 22, 2012

Rainwater Collection

For those of you who live in states that have laws implemented by more level headed people (than the people who lead the states with rainwater collection prohibition), rainwater collection is a fabulous supplement to gardening.  I understand that acid rain was (and in some places still is) a problem, but there are things that one can do to treat the water once collected and/or balance the pH of one's soil; therefore, I wouldn't discourage rainwater collection because of this.

Rainwater collection is a great way to avoid fluoride, arsenic and other poison garbage in the water that your food doesn't need.  The best part of this whole system is that other than the price that you pay for water barrels, rainwater is free!  So, rainwater is free and clean making it great for gardening and perhaps with minimal filtration (if needed) it could also be used to give to animals for drinking.

I'm so sad that I didn't get my crops going this year, but in a way it was a blessing in disguise.  I learned so much about farming and sprouting in just this one summer.  So I didn't utilize these lessons to develop gardening skills this year, but I will hopefully utilize them next year.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with If we are going to take individual responsibility then the place to start is in our homes and gardens. Essentially this means catchment and conservation. Harnessing the water we have and then conserving and using this water in the most efficient ways.

    Rainwater Collections

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, my friend! We just need to be careful of the law of the land unfortunately.

    I forgot to mention for all to beware of the types of rainwater containers that are out there. Most containers that I've seen are petroleum based. We don't want to avoid fluoride and arsenic poisoning only to be faced with bpa poisoning. I'll do some more research on the containers that leach the least amount of toxins and post again.

    ReplyDelete