Thursday, August 23, 2012

Whitening Teeth Naturally

Why buy those chemical whiteners when tooth whiteners have been given to us centuries ago?  I haven't found any studies that show the efficacy of this claim, however, these are remedies that people learned from their parents and their parents learned from their parents.  I almost prefer this to what I can find in a scientific journal to be honest.  The best part is, if it doesn't work, no one lost anything.  I'm going to try ALL of these remedies unless I quickly find one that I'm happy with.

  1. Baking Soda is said to be a tooth whitener.  If you have been using baking soda to brush your teeth like I do, then you're already on the right track for many reasons.  In my experience it may work as a whitening agent, but it's not very strong.
  2. Strawberries are used as tooth whiteners.  It was suggested not to use this on your teeth daily because of the acid, but there are many people who swear by this method.  The suggested use is once per week at most but some do this twice per month.  If you are worried about tooth enamel, there are dentists who suggest xylitol for the repair of tooth enamel.  I brush with xylitol daily.
  3. Banana peels (the inside of the peel) are also used to whiten teeth.  I am actually looking forward to trying this.  There were many ways that people use this method as part of their tooth whitening routine, but I've read articles about people who swear by it.

What I love about natural remedies like this is that there isn't so much research necessary; (there is some necessary, but not much).  There really isn't anything to lose by just trying it.  They are usually methods that have been used for generations and that says more to me than clinical studies; the clinical studies just confirm that these many generations of people are correct.  I can buy some strawberries and sacrifice one or two to see if it can whiten my teeth.  I could also do the banana peel thing once per week or twice per month.  As long as I don't make a daily routine out of this, it can't really hurt my teeth especially since I take such good care of them.  If you have a healthy diet and brush regularly, trying this once or twice shouldn't be too harmful.  I'll post any results.

No comments:

Post a Comment