Sunday, May 6, 2012

Overuse Prevention

Overuse injury is one of an athlete's many archenemies.  Runners and people who workout without trainers are especially in danger of experiencing overuse when they don't think about the muscles that they work in order to work the antagonist muscles.

Until I figured out how to prevent it, overuse bothered me for years and came back recently when I started running.  Here are some tips on preventing overuse injuries:


  1. Stretch:  Stretch before and after your exercise routine always.  Stretch every muscle that will be working; meaning hold for 10 seconds before a workout and hold for 20-30 seconds after.
  2. Work the antagonist:  This is most important part of preventing overuse.  When I started running again, the gastrocnemius muscle was getting a great workout, but tibialis anterior was getting NO workout at all.  That's why my shins were bothering me.  Once I started working on the tibialis anterior muscle, the pain immediately went away; and I do mean immediately.
  3. Trainers:  While it may not be absolutely necessary to work with a trainer for everything, it may help to work with a trainer so that you can learn more about how to get the most out of your workout.

If you use these tips (especially the second) you should minimize your chances of overuse.  I didn't even remember the overuse injuries that I used to get in the beginning of my fitness career.  It wasn't until I started running recently did it all came screaming back to me.  It's easier to work the antagonist muscle when you are weight training, but it's good to do a little cardio as well as a little weight training; cross training has multiple benefits.  Just be sure to take care of all the muscles that are working and not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment