Sunday, January 22, 2012

Grain

Because of this high protein diet fad, I don't hear very much about the nutritional benefits of grain.  Bread may not be the best way to acquire the nutrients of grain.  If it is made from whole grain and not just the gluten from the grain, then it could actually be very high in vitamins especially if it was cooked in low temperatures; in other words it would be considered "raw bread" if cooked under 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Buckwheat, for example, is very nutrient dense food that's high in B vitamins and magnesium which are two nutrients that I myself must increase in my diet.  Like millet, buckwheat is more of a fruit seed than a grain; but I've made porridge from both millet and buckwheat.  In fact, I make porridge from most grains; buckwheat, millet, steal cut oats, amaranth, cornmeal and even barley; however barley I'll use more in rice pilafs.

Real food is never bad for health.  The only exception to that rule is if one has an illness or a sensitivity and must stay away from certain foods temporarily or otherwise.  For example, I've had to stay away from honey and maple when I was on a yeast free diet.  Honey and maple are sugary foods and should be eaten in moderation but they are still foods non the less.  I will advise anyone to eat food if it will feed their bodies and make them healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment