Saturday, July 2, 2011

Question...

Here is a question that I have regarding information that I suspect is a Big Pharma fairy tale.

I've had bronchitis twice in my lifetime.  It happened at around the same time of year for two years in a row.  Both times people (including friends, doctors and an individual who was a former medical student) told me that I should take antibiotics for it because if I don't, I could get pneumonia.

Here is my question:  If bronchitis is a viral infection and pneumonia is bacterial, how would I stand the chance of getting one from the other?

Again, I admit that I have my suspicions, but I would still love to hear an explanation for this.

4 comments:

  1. It's a money making business and medicine is simply a practice. That's why it's called "practicing medicine". Bronchitis can be either bacterial or viral. The physician should have done blood work on you to determine the cause - bacterial or viral. The antibiotic isn't going to help with the viral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either way, to boost your immune system can't hurt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani, I couldn't agree with you more! Healthcare in this county is often treated like a business. It's very sad and very, very true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. or Ms. Anonymous; I agree with you as well. When we are sick, boosting the immune system is always the way to go. Taking antibiotics, however, will never be a way to boost the immune system. In fact, unfortunately it partially breaks the immune system down. Probiotics in our system IS a part of our immune system. Often it is part of our first line of defense; antibiotics KILL them along with the bacterial monsters. I'm not saying to never take them, however, they are often unnecessarily prescribed such as when they are prescribed for bronchitis.

    ReplyDelete