Sunday, July 3, 2011

Modern Technology

Modern technology is a very useful tool.  For many of us, it is downright necessary.  For me, it is one of those things that I can't live with and can't live without at the same time.

My computer for example provides me with the tools to create this site, provide information and acquire information.  We all know, however, that there isn't very much that one can do once a computer is dead.  There are brainiacs like my husband who like to learn things by taking the old computers apart.  What does one do with the spare parts though?  I don't have very much hope in such appliances becoming sustainable.  Still, because of such brainiacs; there are many appliances that are refurbished and reduced in price.  This is promising for many reasons.  Maybe those spare parts can be put to use in some other way; I wouldn't know if that is too much to hope for or not though.

The problem I have with modern technology is when people use it for personal gain without thinking of the greater impact of it; like creating GMOs for example.  If the creators want to put GMO on their own plates, it's fine as long as they keep it far off of mine.  The politics that protect their interests is also a problem because it takes away my rights.

It is great when we can use modern technology to make things more sustainable.  For example, the refurbished electronics that I talked about.  There are also non-petroleum based compost containers available, however few.  Many times, however, THIS kind of technology is just taking the old way of doing things and tweaking it; but it's not like there is any such thing as a "new" idea anyway.  Many of the "new" ideas are old ideas that have been tweaked.

No comments:

Post a Comment