Friday, July 22, 2011

My Garden

I'm excited about a composting workshop that I will be attending this weekend.  I'm really looking forward to gardening next year.  I'm just a little nervous because of the black thumb that I've had in the past.  I may be able to turn it green somehow though.

A green thumb will help me sustain the health of my family in a whole new way; which I find exciting.  For example, corn is one of my favorite foods.  It's sad that I don't see very much organic corn around, especially since it is the only corn that I will ever serve.  The only other choice is GE corn which I will NEVER buy knowingly.  It will be wonderful to raise my own corn someday soon.  I can truly enjoy it knowing that it is real food.

Right now, I'm learning about composting and attaining seeds from harvest.  Sometimes getting the seeds are easy like in bell peppers; but sometimes it's a little tricky like lettuce seeds.  I'm not saying that it is difficult, but if you're like me and you're not sure where the seeds come from for vegetables like lettuce, you wouldn't know to find it in these little budding pod-like thingies. 

Excuse my very simple labels (for example: "little budding pod-like thingies"), but keep in mind I am very new to the gardening world and my gardening vocabulary is still growing.  I can't even say that the gardener in me has been born yet.  She is still in development intellectually.  By next year, I'm looking forward to actually raising some small gardens.  I have all winter to do more research and learn more about gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment