Friday, June 7, 2013

Rice and Peas



Just seeing this picture of rice and peas takes me right back to my childhood.  The image above is a picture of a full meal (a nutritious one if you use good rice and it can also be a vegan meal if you use vegan seasonings).  I've never had it with parsley sprinkled on top, but the idea made me salivate a little.

Though rice and peas are a full meal, my parents always served other things with it.  They often served it with some kind of meat like curry chicken or curry goat (which happened to be some of my favorites) and there were few evenings where we didn't have a salad or steamed vegetables.

My parents always wanted to make sure we were fed well and fed right.  Apparently, they didn't do a bad job at all; for I was always complimented on my figure in high school.  The thing that they didn't know to look out for in America (because this threat didn't really exist in Jamaica when they were growing up) were the overt applications of toxins in food.  This is really the only reason why there are so many Jamaican foods I had to give up for a while (of course, I can enjoy them in Jamaica).  GMOs in goat and the arsenic in brown rice would absolutely devastate my health at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment