Friday, June 28, 2013

Jamaican Ginger Beer Recipe Video

I saw a recipe today for ginger ale, but after reading the recipe I knew that it wouldn't hold a candle to Jamaican ginger beer.

The woman in the video below added rum to her ginger beer.  I've never heard of that.  This is the first ginger beer that I've heard of that actually contains alcohol of any kind.  My father told me about using chew stick in the ginger beer (which was mentioned in the video), but no one has mentioned adding rum... at least not that I can remember.  I just wanted to mention that will taste great without the rum if you aren't a fan of hard liquor.

In order to ferment the beer, cream of tartar was used in this case.  I'm going to try that since chew stick is so hard to come by in this country and because I've had trouble with the fermentation of my ginger brews in the past.

I would strongly advise against sweetening with brown sugar (unless you don't mind GMOs).  There are alternatives like maple syrup or coconut palm sugar.  Both would taste wonderful with this recipe, but I would probably go for the maple syrup because I know the flavors of ginger and maple complement each other BEAUTIFULLY.  Because fermented foods are downright necessary in the gaps diet, I know that this is something that I can try to do pretty soon and I look forward to posting my success.




No comments:

Post a Comment