Monday, June 17, 2013

Coconutty Goodness!



Few things can top this very popular Jamaican food.  It's delicious, nutritious, and it's water is the most refreshing thing to drink on a hot day.  Coconuts are sold at the airports or on the streets; there was even a shop near my uncle's house where they sold nothing but fresh coconut water by the bottle (pint, quart or even gallon sized bottles).  Some call coconut water a sport's drink from God because it's only sport's drink that comes straight from nature made ready to drink!

I know that coconuts aren't a Jamaican "dish" like many of the other foods that I've posted about, but I thought of writing this because of an article I read about potassium.  It shocked me to see that coconuts were not on their list of the foods highest in potassium.  I believe #1 on that list were 4 large figs.  They contain around 540 mg of potassium.  Okay, that's a lot, but consider the coconut.  One medium sized coconut has around 1400 mg of potassium which is more than twice the amount in the 4 large figs.  Don't get me wrong, figs are some of my absolute favorite foods, but coconuts rule when it comes to potassium.

If you want an all natural sports drink, a delicious drink high in potassium or the most refreshing beverage for a hot day; break into a coconut and get some of that water!  In Jamaica, they have this way of cutting the coconut to use part of the fiber as a spoon to scoop out the meat (my favorite part of the coconut).  There is only one thing wrong with coconuts; when I drink the water I start to hunger for the sun warming my body as I hear the sound of waves crashing on white Caribbean sand!

No comments:

Post a Comment