Sunday, June 23, 2013

Cornmeal Dumplings



There are times when I miss the days when corn was real food, and then there are times when I REALLY miss the days when corn was real food.  I know the very sight of corn brings a bad taste to people's mouth today and I can completely understand why.  Corn used to be a great food.  It was a really nice starchy carbohydrate that I loved popped, in porridge, in bread, on the cob or in cornmeal dumplings.  As a child, when I had a plate of ackee and codfish, one thing that I loved to have on the side were some cornmeal dumplings.

Corn was recently demonized because every third person is allergic to it these days (thank you Monsanto).  When corn was actually a good nutritious food, this plate was absolutely delicious.  If you have heirloom corn, go for it!  It's the same recipe as the regular dumplings, except cornmeal is added to the mix.

Cornmeal dumplings were good in this dish but also in soups and with curry dishes as well.  I hope that the day I learn good gardening skills comes soon so that I can raise good food that can be used in recipes like this.  I hope to once again enjoy the delights of cornmeal dumplings in stew peas or with ackee and codfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment