Monday, December 12, 2011

My Long Absence Story (Part II)

The next day wasn't a good one for me.  I was desperate for rest and I kept on breaking things.  Among the many things that broke that day was the medicine my doctor had JUST given me.  Because she was closed that day, I had to wait another 48 hours to take my medicine and by then my throat had become more inflamed and swallowing became painful.  Once again, I found myself worrying that I may have strep throat.

I was reminded by a friend of mine about the power of goldenseal powder.  I've always known that goldenseal powder was powerful, but then I found out that an old healthcare provider of mine in NY would give it to his patients in heavy doses to heal pneumonia and strep throat.  Again, I used to believe that when one had either of those two diseases antibiotics were a requisite of healing.  Before I got my medicine replaced, I started taking the goldenseal powder.  My old healthcare provider said it was necessary to taste the bitterness of the goldenseal in order to heal.  Because I gargled with the goldenseal mixed with water, it was hard to avoid the taste of the stuff anyway.  Fair warning:  It does NOT taste good!

It didn't appear to work immediately.  What I mean is that the symptoms progressed.  By Friday evening, both my tonsils were huge and covered in white sheets and speckles, swallowing was very, very painful (to the point where I was having trouble sleeping because of the pain) and I was getting very worried about what the white stuff on my throat was.  My left tonsil was almost completely covered in white.  I started to panic when I saw that some of the white looked like it had swirls of black in it.  Was it fungus/ thrush?  It was so hideous and frightening, that I though it was necessary to see a doctor again.

Have you ever tried to see a doctor on a Saturday?

No comments:

Post a Comment