Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Minerals

Minerals, for me, are most important for making water kefir.  Kefir grains LOVE minerals, which is why instruction commonly suggests spring water.  Since all I have is reverse osmosis water, I looked for a mineral alternative.  Pink salt seemed to work in the beginning, but after a while my grains became really small.  I just read an article that suggested a "rest" protocol; but I still wonder if perhaps the kind of mineral supplementation that I'm using is good for the grains.

I'm exploring other mineral supplement options.  Some suggest soaking an eggshell in the water to be used with the grains, one site suggested salt (which is what I use), molasses is widely suggested, but one that rather surprised me was oyster shell.  Not that I don't think it would work; I just didn't realize that such a thing was on the market.  I may try it though.  Right now, I'm going to stick with the pink salt and molasses.

Well, if you're in need mineral supplementation for your water kefir, you could try pink salt, like me, or you could try one of the options below.  Don't hesitate to tell me what you think or which you felt was best.


No comments:

Post a Comment