Saturday, August 3, 2013

Geese

Geese are a wonderful additon to a farm.  Besides great eggs, they keep the level of bugs and worms low.  The article below gives some good advice on raising geese, however, I have one issue with the advice that they give.

The thought of feeding home raised livestock store bought processed food makes me crazy.  I couldn't do it.  If I don't know what's in it, I certainly wouldn't eat it so why would I give it to my animals?  There are many foods that one could raise for their livestock to eat so there is no need to buy the garbage food unless you are running WAY low on production.  In a case where one IS running way low on production (which happens), one simply needs to look for the best foods on the market until production is good again.  Geese will enjoy mealworms, duckweed, grubs and bugs that you don't want in your vegetable garden.  All of these can be harvested at home and fed to your geese.

If you buy goslings to start, as most people do, then you will need to set up a place for them to ensure that the get maximum care.  This is where the article below is good.  There are some things that they suggested that I probably wouldn't have known to think about.

How to Raise Your Baby Ducks and Geese | Grange Co-op

No comments:

Post a Comment