Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is a time of year when most Americans reflect on things that we are grateful for. Gratitude is something that I find very necessary in my life. For anyone who suffers from temporary or clinical depression, or for anyone who is going through a very difficult time in their life, gratitude can be downright necessary. As someone who has suffered from all of the above and who in the past suffered from aversions to the holidays, I am one to say that affirming that life is beautiful and then listing reasons why can work wonders. I recently moved to Colorado after living in San Diego for nine years, that change was very traumatic for me both emotionally and physically. Keeping a gratitude journal is honestly what got me through my first winter here in Colorado. I’m not going to say that it brightened up my day, but it reminded me that I have a purpose and that I have something to look forward to tomorrow. I would also think and write about the things that made me laugh. That is ALWAYS something to be grateful for. Things that brought you laughter, especially if you had the opportunity to laugh with someone you love!
What are you grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment