Friday, November 26, 2010

Health and Finance

There are a couple of different things that make living a healthy lifestyle difficult.  Money is perhaps one of the most if not the most difficult of challenges.  Organic fruits and vegetables are usually more expensive than any of the conventionally grown fruits and vegetables and sometimes by far.  Healthy choices of products like breads and eggs often have astronomical prices compared to the junky choices.  Unfortunately, I can’t allow myself much choice nor can many others like me.  Either I pay the money or I spend a few hours or days feeling fatigued, sickly or dazed.

There are a few things that I do to make things easier on my wallet.  For example, as much as I love Whole Foods market, no one will deny that they can be pricey.  When I shop at Whole Foods, I buy only the things that I cannot find many other places.  For example, I haven’t seen buffalo and grass fed beef in many places other than Whole Foods.  Fish I buy at Sprouts or Sunflower market for a fabulous price.  Then there is the Vitamin Cottage, which is considered the angel of mercy to those who live the way I do.  Their prices are wonderful compared to other places.  For example, I purchased an ounce of cocoa butter for about fifteen dollars from this online site.  I didn’t buy it very often because fifteen dollars for one lousy ounce is ridiculously steep.  I found a seven ounce container at Vitamin Cottage for about eight bucks; HUGE difference!

When you must make something work, you make it work.  My best friend is a lymphoma survivor and she has also struggled financially.  A single mother of five doesn’t exactly have money pouring out of her ears.  But she always found a way to maintain a healthy lifestyle for her and her children.

I welcome commentary or advice on this one.  In fact, I’m requesting advice or comments.  How can we live well, be well and not break our bank book?

2 comments:

  1. I have been eatting more organic foods in the past few years than I ever been my whole life. I don't mind paying a little more for some organic foods because they taste much better and are usually better for me (this is because the human/animal body are made to tolerate, digest, and absorb organic foods). Having said that, some things I can't afford or is not easily found. And to be honest, some products I don't want to let go of (i.e. fast food burgers).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment my friend!

    I agree with everything that you said and the one part I disagree with (not wanting to let go of fast food) I would be lying if I said didn't PERFECTLY understand. It took me a very, very, VERY long time (as in many, many years) to stop eating Pizza Hut for example! I was addicted; I mean literally physically addicted to Pizza Hut pan pizzas. When I think about how much I loved Pizza Hut, I can't believe my strong aversion to that stuff now!

    My journey toward giving up Pizza Hut started when I ate pizza in Italy. From the first bite of an authentic Italian Margarita; my taste for ALL American pizzas became a distant memory. It was horrible living here when the pizzas that I craved were a 16hr flight away. Then one wonderful day, I learned how to make pizza myself. I haven't touched Pizza Hut since because my pizza is so much better. My pizza isn't better because I'm this great chef, but because I make it the way I want it.

    If you learn to make burgers at home, not only do you get it the way you want it (for example, I like burgers with more meat and more extras like onions, monster chunks of tomato and lost of watercress for example) but you know what is on it and you could use organic or home grown veggies as well! ;-)

    ReplyDelete