Thursday, November 25, 2010

Roots of my Convictions

I believe my passion for a healthy lifestyle is rooted in my past obsession with how I looked at age twelve or thirteen. I wanted the perfect body like many middle school and high school girls did (and like many still do). Popular belief was that a low calorie diet in addition to exercise would get anyone there; so throughout middle school and high school I always strived to do that. Then in college I met a friend from Russia who gave me an entirely different perspective on health. Natural foods were the only way to go for her. I tried it, and honestly felt better. I remember eating ice cream for the first time after avoiding it for a whole year; I was sickly for almost a week.
What most dramatically changed me forever was when I met my best friend a few years later who at the time was fighting lymphoma. Now, ten years later, she is one of the healthiest people I know and I am healthier than I’ve ever been in my whole life thanks to her influence. I’ve just seen too many people try the “popular belief” way too many times with little success when someone like my best friend went with their gut and did the alternative and had amazing success. I want to write a series on how my own life experiences disproved a variety of popular beliefs about health because these are the experiences that really provided the foundation of my convictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment