Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Living with Depression (Part 3)

My family never could understand what was wrong with me.  There was always a struggle to get out of bed, to do my homework and schoolwork.  People couldn’t understand why one day I was what people described as my bubbly self and the next I would seem as though I had a death in my family.  I struggled to go to school, I struggled with work, I struggled in my relationships, I struggled in my life entirely.  I struggled just to get up in the morning let alone getting through the rest of the day.  Looking back, I would say now that it was like being in hell and never knowing when I would get burned yet again.

I was on Prozac for about a year.  I admit it felt like it helped at the time.  The problem is I needed it again two years later.  I was on it again for about two months.  Then one night when I was visiting California with a friend I flushed all the contents in the bottle down the toilet.  If Prozac is a cure, then I shouldn’t have needed it again.  My psychiatrist was FURIOUS with me.  He was very stern about how I needed him and I needed the medication.

I ask my depressed friends to consider this advice; if you are on any antidepressants for more than six months, you must RUN not walk away…far away… from those pills and the one prescribing it to you.  If you need it for longer than six months then the medication IS NOT FOR YOU!  There is REAL help out there for you and you can be cured.  I thank God to this day that I found neurofeedback and I found the strength to do what I had to do to get the help that I needed.  You can too.

I'll talk more about the beauty that I found in my life in the next post. In the meantime, if you are living with depression and you believe you are ready for help, try the link below.  Make sure you look for the clinics that do brain mapping.  Brain mapping is how the therapist knows what is going on with your brain and they can show you where your brain needs help and why.  If they start hooking you up to a computer without a brain map, you need to start asking questions and doing more research.  I welcome questions, comments and emails.

http://www.eeginfo.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment