Thursday, July 25, 2013

Candida Diet: Stevia

My nutritionist is okay with stevia as a sweetener for my GAPS diet, however, she prefers her clients to use honey.  In her experience, honey doesn't feed the candida overgrowth.  She does stress that the amount of honey her clients have per day should be monitored.

I still use stevia sometimes.  My doctor gave me a green supplement to take everyday, and I gag on that stuff unless I add a pinch of stevia to it.  It's best to use stevia for that because it dissolves quickly and it is sugarless.  So I have as much as two to four pinches per day and no more.  I usually add a little honey to a bowl of buckwheat or to some candies that I make out of sesame seeds.  If I want it to be even sweeter, then I add a little stevia too.

I've tried stevia many, many times before I actually developed a liking for it.  The first couple of times that I tried it, it didn't occur to me that less of it is needed to sweeten something.  When too much stevia is added, it has a taste that I could only describe as yucky; it's almost bitter even.  A tiny pinch of stevia goes a long, long way.  In fact, three pinches was all I needed to sweeten two cups of turmeric milk.

I must say that I am happy that I've finally made stevia a part of my diet.  Now that I know HOW to use the stuff, I have an opportunity to avoid sugars more often.  As I've said many, many times on previous posts, refined white sugar has not been a part of my diet for a long time.  The natural sugars that I eat are actually very healthy, but keeping even those sugars to a minimum can bring advantages; so I do it when I can.

Candida Diet: Stevia

No comments:

Post a Comment