Monday, June 25, 2012

Living The Sustainable Life

Sustainable living isn't always easy.  It's can be expensive, time consuming, socially challenging and it can sometimes be difficult to find real food and sustainable products.  I've been progressively living this kind of life for so long, however, that I can't go back to my old ways; especially the way that I used to eat.

Sometimes I wish that it could be easier though.  I suppose as my skills increase so will the ease of my choice in lifestyle.  For example, I'm constantly learning new things that keep my menus interesting.  I'm not a raw food person, but I've been eager to find more raw food recipes.  I enjoy the raw food recipes that I've tried so far and the major benefit to raw food is that it's far more nutrient dense than cooked food.  Another issue is that sustainable living takes more time.  I love greens like kale, chard, lettuce and parsley but washing them takes so much time.  This can be a real bummer for me because I won't buy them as often because if I don't get to them in time they spoil; this has actually happened a few times.  When I'm having a week that is kind of busy, I stick with broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage because washing these veggies barely take any time at all.  I tend to ferment kale and chard so that I could have them on a busier week.  I guess because I love these foods so much, I dare to believe I'll find a way to have them more often; I just haven't found a way yet.

Constant growth is part of living a sustainable life.  This is the beauty and the challenge of it altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment