Monday, November 18, 2013

Compost, Recycle, Landfill

Since finishing my "poor man's compost bin" which BARELY cost me $20, I've been able to tremendously reduce the amount of stuff that I'm putting into landfill.  It's exciting for me that now I get to practice this AND I get some free soil for my garden next year!

I have to admit that putting the bin together was a bit of a pain in the butt.  Chicken wire doesn't take direction very well.  It kind of does it's own thing.  Once I got control, however, the rest was easy.  I put all the weeds, grass clippings and kitchen compost in this device and I even found some worms who volunteered to help at no extra cost!

Recycling is something that I've made a practice of for a long time now.  As soon as I learned the benefits of recycling, I began to make a habit of it.  My recycle bin is always the first thing to fill up.

Unfortunately, the next thing that usually fills up in my house is the landfill bin.  The good news is, since I've made my compost bin, it doesn't fill nearly as quickly.  I'm still looking for ways to reduce what I put into landfill.  Thank God I'm getting closer and closer the more I research I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment